Rowan won't eat for us. We don't know if it is psychological or if it is his cold (yes, another one!) that has him turning his nose up to everything we put in front of him. What ever the cause, it is enough to make John's head explode with frustration. We resorted to giving him ice cream with fruit for dinner. We pump him full of vegetable/fruit juice (no sugar added of course) just so that he'll have calories in his already skinny body. We've tried bribery. We've tried reasoning. I've baked semi-healthy muffins thinking that he might go for something that looks more like a treat than a meal. But nope...none of this works (except the ice cream which I had to force into his mouth so that he'd taste it and want more. I am not convinced that it wasn't the coolness of the icecream on his throat that was appealing instead of the sugary goodness.)
I doubt we would be as upset about this as we are if we hadn't already gone through a rash of scary tests because of his weight problems. I have serious anxiety over the idea that he'll have lost more weight or have dropped on the growth curves again when we see the doctor next week. We've broken so many rules just to try to get him to plumpen up. Maybe we've made things worse? I've read that toddlers go through this as a method of controlling their parents. I'd say Rowan has mastered manipulating us if that really is what is going on here. We've lost it for sure.
What will we try next? Well, I've thought about strapping him down and prying his mouth open but I don't think that will be very effective. Perhaps the solution is to disguse a meal in a bottle of medicine (he wants more of the pink stuff he is taking for an ear infection these days). I have NO CLUE what to do. But I must be desperate because I have eyeing up the ENSURE in the pharmacies...
No comments:
Post a Comment