Wednesday, June 30, 2010

He Rocks My World...Or Wait, Was That An Earthquake?

So the other day I am lying in this awkward position on the library floor feeding Bronson when out of nowhere, the washing machine starts to spin out of control. I thought to myself: 

"That's weird. I don't remember putting laundry on" and so I looked at John who is now looking at me inquisitively and we wait, and listen and then the shaking gets stronger and stronger and stronger. Before I know it, John has Bronson off me and is walking very quickly for the front door. My first words as I emerged on to the front lawn confused and not completely put together were:


"WHAT THE HELL?"

The entire neighbourhood was on the street. And as confused as we all were we all knew it really was an earthquake. And a big one at that.

Here is what my mother sent me from her guys at the plant:


"The epicenter of the earthquake of 2010/06/23 at 17:41 (Universal Time) 29KMN of Buckingham, QUE. is located at latitude 45.84 N, longitude 75.50 W with a Richter magnitude of 5.8".

The media reported the magnitude anywhere from 5.0 to 5.5 but we got the *real* story. 

Anyway, it was quite exciting and terrifying all at the same time. It took me about 5 minutes to stop shaking and to collect myself. John is always so much better in emergencies. He thought it was amusing more than anything and wasn't concerned about Rowan who happened to be at Day Care. I on the other hand wanted to call. Apparently Rowan slept through the entire thing and had to be awoken so that Amanda could take the kids for a drive because they were very upset by the whole thing and she didn't want to be in the house if an after-shock hit.

Everyone was talking about the event. In fact, it only took seconds for me to find out that all of my friends had felt the quake in Toronto too (thanks to Facebook). It was fascinating to watch the reactions spread on the Internet-it was like a mini-earthquake in itself. 

Our house only suffered a few more nail pops and we had to adjust our paintings. Nothing fell off the incredible shelves we have in our library. I have a new respect for its construction now.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the "awkward position on the floor", Bronson is what the doctor calls a "picky eater" and he requires me to lie down and to put myself in the weirdest position every second feeding so that he doesn't have to lie on his right side. If it wasn't for his beautiful smile (that rocks my world nonetheless), he might have had to go hungry on occasion. But look at him, who could deny that face of anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment