Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Costa Rica Kiss My....Fanny.

John left for Costa Rica on Sunday (it is now Friday). My parents arrived on Saturday before he left to visit but also to stay with me for a little while so that I wasn't all alone with Rowan and the dogs. I didn't argue when they suggested the idea to us because at this point Bronson is really doing a number on my body. And to be honest, I was anxious about the prospect of being stranded by a snow storm, not being able to play with Rowan enough, struggling up and down the stairs a million times (because that is Rowan's favourite thing to do) and having to tolerate the incessant whining that squeezes out of Bailey. John was also very concerned about leaving us and so I think my parents' plan helped him to relax and enjoy his business trip as much as he could. 

The visit was wonderful. I think that my parents were very happy with having Rowan to themselves for a couple of days while I went to work. It was "quality time", uninterrupted by schedules and parents who have things to do. They stayed in their pjs, ate breakfast at their own pace, played the entire day and even managed to get naps in and an electrical outlet installed.   

Rowan's face lights up at the sight of my parents. He giggles and runs and squeals just like all little boys should. I can't make him that happy right now and having them provide that for him was very special and appreciated. He has of course, been running to their bedroom every morning since they left. He even said "gamma" in the car yesterday on the way home when I was trying to get him to say "mamma". He never stops calling for grampa and dadda... it's heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. He loves them so very much. Just as much as they love and adore him.

While my parents were here my mother had the lovely opportunity of taking Rowan to the allergist with me. We asked how the tests would be performed this time and were told it would be a scratchboard test. It wasn't. Instead, my mother and I held a screaming Rowan down while the barbaric sick doctor picked his skin 9 times. I don't know why I agreed to go through it again. Honestly, how bad could a life without nuts or coconut be? You have to be seriously mental to torture kids like that all day long for a living. I couldn't look at Rowan or the needles when it was happening. I wanted to scoop him off the table and make it all right but I couldn't. I don't know that the pricks were all that painful, but I do know that being restrained while being utterly terrified is painful enough and no child should have to be subjected to that! Why hasn't a better testing method been devised by now? We send people to space for God Sakes. Surely there must be some way of administering a subcutaneous dose of allergen that doesn't involve sterilized sewing pins and little glass viles of what could be chinese-witch-doctor-concoctions?


We survived. My mother and I were probably more traumatized than Rowan was. But, it's over now and he is not allergic to nuts or coconut. I guess we will never know what caused the hives.





No comments:

Post a Comment