Sunday, October 25, 2009

Vancouver We Were

I don't think I mentioned we went to Vancouver for the PCIH conference at the beginning of October. I had 2 days of sitting and listening to stuff about where the world of Industrial Hygiene is going while Rowan and John explored the city. I think the exploring would have been much better than participating in what amounts to a serious geek fest, but I did enjoy myself nonetheless. I think it was made a little more tolerable by the fact that a colleague from the TO office was there and I had expected to be alone. Anyway, I got 2 more points to put toward the 40 I need by the end of December and we got to have a family mini-vacation all at the same time. Did I mention we had to pay for all of this? That's right, none of it was funded by my employer which really stinks, but it was necessary. Like an ethical Hygienist I sat through it all too. 


So, John and Rowan got to see the aquarium. They had front row seats at the beluga tank and, as to be expected, the belugas loved Rowan as much as he loved them. Apparently they kept coming up to where he was sitting and ignored all of the other spectators (of which there were few since John managed to get Rowan to the aquarium before it even opened). They also saw the Vancouver Museum which turned out to be the Museum of Vancouver and really wasn't that interesting. I think the bus ride was probably far more entertaining.


We did make it to Grandville Island together as a family and our favourite part of the day was chasing the pigeons. I have never seen Rowan happier than he was there along the water with the birds. He ran after them, squealed and even managed to grab one by the tail feathers before startling himself. We have video, but I don't need the video to remember his laughter or the look on his face as he ran and stumbled and played. It was pure joy and that made every penny we spent worth it.

Oh...and we got to meet up with a friend too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment