I make sure that Rowan is covered in sunscreen before he goes outside. In this incredible heat (this is day 5 or so of 34+ degree weather) and high UV, I've been making sure that he is coated. Yes, I am worried that he'll get a burn, be in pain and increase his risk of getting skin cancer later in life but my real worry is that he'll get freckles.
Now, you might think that is completely vain and that freckles are adorable and just because I hated mine it doesn't mean he is going to hate his (assuming he inherits my genes).You'd be only partly right if you think that. Having freckles made my life a subconcious hell in the summer when I was growing up. I refused to wear short sleeves in my teen years. I was constantly asking: "are my freckles out?" when we would spend the day in the sun. I LOATHED them because I thought everyone else did too. I thought they made me ugly and they certainly made me different which of course is not exactly something that kids want to be. I don't want that constant worry for my baby boys. I want them to be wild and free and to not have the hang-ups I had and it would be easier to ensure that if they didn't get spotty like their mom. How do you tell a kid that freckles or any other physical trait that is different won't matter when they grow up or even better, that that trait will actually be something special about them (yes, I know my freckles are endearing now) and have them believe it?
I suspect having a boy will make all of these worries seem silly some day because they don't have the same inhibitions and boys aren't as means as girls are, but for now, I see Rowan's red cheeks (thanks to what I assumed was an inadequate sunscreen application at Day Care but is actually Fifth's Disease) and I cringe.
No comments:
Post a Comment