It is officially time to start cleaning up my act and getting rid of this terrible swearing habit that I have. Why you ask? Well, I am no different than any other toddler parent out there. I have a little parrot in the house and the other day not only did I catch him saying "Oh MY GOD!", but he also thought it was pretty funny when he said "crap" several times in a row while smirking at me. He knew it was bad!
It is so incredibly hard not to laugh when he does these things. But, I don't want to be responsible for his potty mouth. The swearing and foul language he will pick up in the school yard will be hard to avoid but there is no reason he needs to learn that stuff from his trucker-mom. I want him to be *that* polite boy who fears that his mother will make him get down on his knees and pray for forgiveness in front of his friends if she hears him curse or finds out that he swears up a storm when he isn't in the house.
Seriously, having to ask for forgiveness is right up there with sticking your foot through the wall as an effective deterrent for bad behaviour. It kept my mouth clean until I was an adult and secretly, the memory of what happened the only time I ever took the Lord's name in vain as a child still makes me quiver. Thanks Mom!
Oh, do share! I think I may need a good deterrent for my 3.5yo that is turning into a belligerent little devil!
ReplyDelete