Friday, March 4, 2011

Bacation

We made it late last night. But we barely made it and we are all still feeling the effects of the stress associated with almost missing our flight.  


Bronson got sick last Saturday. I had to take him to Emerge at CHEO after dinner where I was told that his fever was 105C and his heart rate was up around 166 beats/minute. I questioned my decision to take him because they had us crammed in to a tiny waiting room like sardines and I could think of nothing else by the bacteria and viruses that were floating about my already sick baby. But once they took his temperature, I knew that we had made the right decision. After almost 3 days of fever, we decided to take him to see a stand-in-pediatrician just to be cautious because of our trip. The doctor wouldn't clear us to fly until Bronson had been fever free for 24 hours at minimum. Lucky for us, his fever had broken just prior to seeing the doctor and stayed away. We were fever free for 25 hours by the time we boarded the plane. 


Our trip to Newark was unremarkable but our trip through the airport once we realized that we had to exit security and re-enter with all of our stuff and the 2 babies with only 30 minutes to spare, went from fine to a complete nightmare. I actually begged a complete stranger to let us jump the cue and let us in at the front of the security line so that we could make our flight. And he did. He was happy to in fact and that is when I realized that Americans are not rude gun-toting-morons like I originally thought. They are incredibly polite and friendly and that continues to be our experience on this trip. From the lady on the plane that asked the man sitting next to me to move with her so that John and I could sit together with the kids to the dozens of strangers who greet us on the street, this place has been nothing but hospitable. Americans put Ottawans to shame and I am embarrassed to admit that I am guilty of pigeonholing people from this country. I think that Canadians could stand a little lesson in first class customer service and friendliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment