Saturday, December 18, 2010

Merry Christmas From Heaven

Preparing for Bronson's baptism has led to a frantic search for our (parents and godparents) baptism certificates which, my mom thought might be in the baby books that somehow have found themselves in the hands of my sister. My sister isn't exactly the most sentimental of people that I know. She is the opposite of a hoarder and doesn't hold on to things (both physical and not). I guess because she doesn't have to. Unlike some of us (unlike me). I still lug all of my grampa Richardson's old tobacco tins around with me from house to house to house and for what? I can't answer that. But I know the time is coming for me to let some (not all) of them go. I have a plan and it involves making memory boxes for each of our family members that have gone from this world and putting them up in a place where I can see them and be reminded of how much they meant to me. Mean to me.

But she isn't like that which is why it surprised me to know that she has my mother's baby book too.  


She sent my mother and I a note about finding the book and a poem written on the inside to my mother on the day she was adopted.


God Sent You the Best He Had
God sent you the best He had- 
The blessing of baby hands
And ten small toes that come in rows
Imported from Angel lands!

God blessed the little darling
And to earth He sent this pearl.
She has won our hearts already, 
Your Blessed Baby Girl.

I sent you the best I have-
A wish that is big and true,
That God will bless with tenderness
His dear little Gift- and you!".


My mother was born 7lbs 9oz. She received a whole pile of gifts that were listed in the book. But my sister especially liked that my mom got a baby book, diaper bag and brush and comb set from our grandfather and a pink blanket from our grandmother. Needless to say, all of this made me cry my eyes out. I took it as a little hello from Heaven at this very special time of year. It was the best gift I could have received.

Merry Christmas up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment